What is UTRIP?
UTRIP, which stands for the University of Tokyo Research Internship Program, is a prestigious program initiated by the Graduate School of Science (GSS) at the University of Tokyo, renowned for its excellence in research and education. The program was introduced in June 2010 as part of the GSS’s commitment to internationalization, welcoming talented undergraduate students from around the world. UTRIP offers an intensive summer research experience designed for students with a strong interest in pursuing advanced degrees such as M.S. or Ph.D. in the future. Throughout the program, participants receive comprehensive guidance and instruction from distinguished faculty members belonging to the GSS’s five departments: physics, astronomy, chemistry, earth & planetary science, and biological sciences.
Eligibility for UTRIP is extended to current undergraduate students majoring in natural sciences or related fields at accredited colleges or universities outside of Japan, starting from their second year or later. The program includes not only rigorous research activities but also opportunities for cultural immersion, including an excursion outside of Tokyo, as well as a short course on Japanese language and culture.
UTRIP serves as a gateway for students to explore advanced degrees and experience academic life at the University of Tokyo. By participating in this program, students can gain a head start in preparing for the challenges of graduate study in the natural sciences.
The University of Tokyo Research Internship Program (UTRIP) is a summer internship program specifically designed for students majoring in natural sciences and related fields. It offers participants a unique opportunity to immerse themselves in a research-centered environment, simulating the life of a graduate student. UTRIP provides a platform for students to test their aptitude for rigorous graduate study in the natural sciences while working closely with leading researchers from the Graduate School of Science (GSS) at the University of Tokyo. Alongside valuable research experience, the program includes off-campus activities such as field trips to historical and natural sites in Japan, as well as social and cultural events to foster a deeper understanding of Japanese culture and establish connections with current UTokyo students. Additionally, lectures on cross-disciplinary scientific topics are incorporated into the program.
At the conclusion of the program, students are expected to deliver an oral presentation and submit a report on their research project.
Features of UTRIP:
- Full-time commitment to a research project program.
- Opportunities to engage in cutting-edge research in the natural sciences.
- Participation in laboratory meetings and literature review related to the project under the guidance of faculty advisors.
- Financial support: Most participants (excluding those receiving the FUTI Award) receive the GSS-UTRIP Scholarship, which covers housing expenses and provides a stipend.
- Cultural immersion through visits to historical or natural sites of interest in Japan.
- Specially designed Japanese language courses to facilitate communication and daily life in Japan.
- Successful participants receive a certificate upon program completion.
Eligibility & Requirements:
To be eligible for UTRIP, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Completion of at least one full year in a Bachelor’s degree program at the time of application.
- Enrollment in a Bachelor’s degree program (or an equivalent integrated Bachelor’s-Master’s program) outside of Japan and an intention to continue studies after the UTRIP program.
- Majoring in a natural science or related field.
- Aspiring to pursue long-term career goals in a scientific area.
- Ability to commit to the entire six-week UTRIP program on a full-time basis (June 26 to August 6, 2024*).
- Possession of valid health insurance coverage for the duration of the internship program.
- English proficiency: Non-native English speakers must provide valid TOEFL or equivalent English proficiency test scores, unless they have received English-medium education continuously for the past eight years.
*Please note that due to the ongoing COVID-19 situation, the program may be conducted online if in-person activities are not feasible.
By enrolling in the UTRIP program, students agree to fulfill the following obligations:
- Devote their full efforts to conducting the UTRIP project.
- Participate in the project for the entire six-week duration.
- Attend all academic and social events scheduled during the program.
- Submit a written research report approved by the UTRIP supervisor within two weeks of program completion.
- Deliver an oral presentation on the assigned day.
- Complete all necessary procedures by the designated deadlines.
- Program Schedule:
- UTRIP 2024 will take place from June 26, 2024, to August 6, 2024.
The application period for UTRIP 2024 is from November 27, 2023, until 17:00 on January 9, 2024, Japan Standard Time (GMT+0900).
Presentation & Report:
At the conclusion of the program, participants are required to present theirresearch findings and submit a brief report. The presentation should last approximately 10 minutes, followed by a question and answer session lasting 5 to 10 minutes. The research report should be around 5 pages in A4 size and should cover the work conducted during the program, including the obtained results and conclusions. The report must be submitted within two weeks after the completion of the program. Examples of research reports from previous UTRIP participants can be found under “Research Projects” in past UTRIP summaries.
Japanese Language Course:
During the program, participants will have access to an intensive Japanese language course. This course is specifically designed for UTRIP participants and aims to provide basic knowledge of Japanese to facilitate communication with Japanese peers in the lab and ensure a smooth experience in Japan. The curriculum focuses on practical language skills relevant to daily life situations. The course is delivered intensively over a short period, typically consisting of about five classes.
To apply for UTRIP 2024, please visit [application Form] and follow the instructions provided. The application period is from November 27, 2023, until 17:00 on January 9, 2024, Japan Standard Time (GMT+0900). Don’t miss this exceptional opportunity to gain invaluable research experience and explore academic life at the University of Tokyo!